Saturday, February 4, 2012

Weekend Blog Reads: The Everyday Veggie

Weekend Blog Reads: The Everyday Veggie
My blog, theeverydayveggie.blogspot.com, was initially borne of frustration. Tired of being asked what vegetarians eat everyday, I decided to show people. I would post details of my three major meals every day, with a photo of one of the meals and a recipe for it below. (All photos are mine and all recipes, unless otherwise [...]

post thumbnail

photo courtesy of H. Parry

My blog, theeverydayveggie.blogspot.com, was initially borne of frustration. Tired of being asked what vegetarians eat everyday, I decided to show people. I would post details of my three major meals every day, with a photo of one of the meals and a recipe for it below. (All photos are mine and all recipes, unless otherwise stated, are original.) This way, I hoped, I could not only clear up the confusion for the veggie-curious or veggie-baiters, but could also convince those on the fence that a vegetarian diet could be both nutritious and delicious. I also wanted to show that you don’t need a dehydrator or stocks of marinated seitan to have a meat-free diet; my meals can all be made in a regular kitchen on a small budget – because that’s all I have!

In the 10 months since I started, I’ve had over 20,000 visitors, inspired several people (that I know of) to eschew meaty diets and found out that a lot more have incorporated my recipes into their lives, vastly cutting down the amount of meat, poultry and dairy that they eat. This is a source of endless inspiration for me, and the demands of posting 5-7 new, original recipes every week has expanded my own dietary repertoire more than I could ever have expected. It also directly influenced my decision to become vegan, as I began to understand the implications of my own meal choices for everyone who visited my blog as well as realising how easy eating vegan can be. I (and my previously carnivore partner) have been 100% vegan for the last 5 months, and every recipe posted on my blog is now vegan, though it stays under the Everyday Veggie name. We also have a Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/TheEverydayVeggie) and a Twitter account (@EverydayVeggie) so things are constantly updated!

photo courtesy of H. Parry

The blog also now has regular posts from David Bloomfield, a certified and very fantastic nutritionist and personal trainer, who discusses topics from the best vegan post-workout foods (and why quinoa and veggies are better in this situation than those awful expensive protein shakes) to how to stay healthy in the winter months by including herbs and spices in food. David is actually a meat eater, and his inclusion on the site is a representation of my belief that you can only choose your own diet, not other people’s, and that you should show tolerance to those who don’t choose the same as you and you’ll do more good by inspiring than lecturing. Inspiration, I believe, is the key to encouraging others and yourself to do the right thing – and that’s what this blog is all about.

Heather Parry is an English girl living in Toronto, having just spent a year in Australia. She’s a self-described travel addict and an unlikely foodie, coming from a Yorkshire background that mainly centred around meat-and-two-veg dinners. She didn’t even have pasta or pizza until she was at university! The decision to become vegetarian came to Heather one Sunday afternoon over a couple of pints of cider when she and her two flatmates all decided to give it a go. Three years later she’s a strict vegan, as is her Ukrainian it-isn’t-a-meal-if-it-hasn’t-got-cheese-or-vodka partner, and she can’t imagine ever going back. She’s healthier, happier and fitter than she’s ever been and hopes that her blog (soon to become a full website) can help others find their own health and happiness!

**Weekend Blog Reads is a weekly column where we feature great vegan blogs to help spread the word about people doing great things for the vegan movement. Do you have a vegan blog to share? Email editor@veganmainstream.com.


Source: feedproxy.google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment