Monday, July 15, 2013

Fake Ninjas Suffer No Karma

Fake Ninjas Suffer No Karma

Breakfast to Bed

Most days I wake up or go to bed with a book or an e-reader/tablet/iphone kindle app in my hand. Most days I think to myself,”Sometimes, I wish that I could dive in and live here, experience all of these experiences, feel all of what these characters are feeling, express … Continue reading

Breakfast to Bed

Breakfast to Bed

Most days I wake up or go to bed with a book or an e-reader/tablet/iphone kindle app in my hand.

Most days I think to myself,”Sometimes, I wish that I could dive in and live here, experience all of these experiences, feel all of what these characters are feeling, express their expressions.”

All of their joys and pains and suffering, all of their triumphs and losses. The secret smiles a character is given to, a shout only they hear.

Why live in reality if fiction is so much more appealing?

And then I realize that I do have those secret smiles in which only one person knows what is the cause. I wake up and I have the overwhelming, chest-expanding, giggle inducing sense of joy given to me by the bits who are just so happy we’re all awake together. Some mornings, the Peanut looks at me, smiles bemusedly at me, rubs her eyes, and then realizes “Hey! Momma noticed I’m awake! Neat how that happens!”

I am fortunate to have one of those fun relationships where there is SO MUCH RIBBING AND SARCASM AND PLAYFUL BICKERING because I love it that way. The man and I love each other beyond what is normal or reasonable or acceptable in public, but man alive do we understand how not to take shit seriously.

My best friends are a mixed bag of crazy and I’m still working on us becoming either a group of super-spies, or a ring of champion flip-cup players, because a team of vampire hunters who hang out in the library has been done. Personally, I think we’d make great spies, or ninjas…or fake ninjas–we all own a lot of black.

My life’s plot has had all of the twists and turns to be a Markus Zusak novel. Every time I think there has been some relatively strong foreshadowing, the arc of the story veers off on a tangent, taking me somewhere completely different. Sometimes someplace scary (no sewer clowns yet, thankfully) sometimes someplace miraculous, like the first time I got to see a Broadway show or the first time I realized the kid who bullied me in High School got really fat and really bald. That tidbit deserved its own chapter. Call me “petty”, call me “uncharitable”, but I call it “Karma, motherfucker”.

All the while I have this lovely little constant, this port in the storm or this amplifier of joy…I have pages and pages of constant. I have my books. I have the worlds within my world that I can journey to in an instant.

I also have my own life’s book. My story. Intertwined with the threads of tales told before, tales running concurrently alongside my own, tales yet to be written.

Yes, I get to live my story, however mundane it may seem to others. It is my story, and I am privileged to live it to its conclusion.

Not that I’m going to stop reading any time soon.

Best books I’ve read lately:

Fifth Grave Past the Right -Darynda Jones
Fifth book in a paranormal romance/urban fantasy series that I love. Hilarious writing, witty banter, character-driven.

MacRieve -Kresley Cole
I want to say this is like the twelfth book in the Immortals After Dark PNR series? hilar, but be warned, it’s a bit raunchy.

Poison Princess -Kresley Cole
Same author as the previous title, but this is a crazy good YA novel based on the characters of the major arcana of the tarot.

Code Name:Verity -Elizabeth E Wein
YA, but so well-written you won’t even notice its intended audience.

Neanderthal Seeks Human -Penny Reid
Ok, this IS chick lit, but it’s GOOD chick lit.

Let’s Explore Diabetes With Owls -David Sedaris
David Sedaris essays, do I need to say more?

The Ocean at the End of the Lane -Neil Gaiman
You will fall headlong into this novel and not come up for air until its completion. It’s that good. Yes, it’s fantasy as per Neil Gaiman’s other work, but even if you’re not a fan of the genre, you’ll probably still love this book.

Lexicon -Max Barry
This is YA and high-fantasy-ish, but it has so many of those “could this really happen??” instances in it that you’ll feel like your brain has been jabbed.

Now for the recipe. It’s summer, it’s hot, you don’t want to cook, you know, unless you live in Australia…but nevermind, it’s hot. Make this seasonal beverage.

Nectarine Vodcolada

Isn’t it pretty with its pink speckles? I love a pink speckle.

Nectarine Vodcolada

by Cat Bowen

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Keywords: blender beverage

Ingredients

  • 1 frozen nectarine, sliced
  • 1/4 cup cold coconut milk
  • 2 oz Ciroc coconut vodka
  • .5 oz peach schnapps
  • tsp lime juice
  • few ice cubes

Instructions

blend together.

Powered by Recipage

Breakfast to Bed


Source: breakfasttobed.com

No comments:

Post a Comment