Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Share your favorite healthy vegan recipe!

Share your favorite healthy vegan recipe!
� I love to cook, and I don’t know about you, but I LOVE finding really delicious recipes that are REALLY healthy too. There are lots of them out there, but let’s face it, there are also quite a few healthy recipes out there that are pretty bland. I was super-excited this weekend to find
Image courtesy of Simon Howden / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Image courtesy of Simon Howden / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

I love to cook, and I don’t know about you, but I LOVE finding really delicious recipes that are REALLY healthy too. There are lots of them out there, but let’s face it, there are also quite a few healthy recipes out there that are pretty bland. I was super-excited this weekend to find a minestrone soup that I hadn’t tried before from the Forks Over Knives companion book to the feature documentary. The ingredients are simple; and there’s no oil. It was easy to make, and absolutely fabulous!

Switching gears: this morning, when I met a friend for coffee, I was delighted to see a vegan, gluten-free muffin option at my local coffee shop – especially because I had been in a hurry to leave the house and hadn’t had the chance to grab a bite. But this muffin gave vegan and gluten-free a bad name! I didn’t even finish it.

These two things that happened over the course of a couple of days reminded me how important it is to share healthy and delicious vegan food as often and with as many people as we can. Today, share your favorite healthy vegan recipe – on your facebook page, on ours, and/or in the comments below! In honour of the recipe I ranted about above, here’s Hearty Minestrone Soup from Mary McDougall:

Serves 6 to 8

1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 tsp crushed garlic
6 cups veg broth
1/2 cup chopped green beans
1 1/2 cups chunked potatoes
1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
1 14.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup parsley
1 1/2 tsp basil
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat or brown rice pasta

1. Put onion, celery, carrots and garlic in a large pot with 1/4 cup of broth. Cook over med-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, until veggies soften slightly.
2. Add remaining broth, green beans, potatoes, cabbage, tomatoes, sauce, beans, parsley, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, cook for 45 minutes.
3. Add pasta and stir well. Continue to cook for another 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.


Source: feedproxy.google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment