Friday, April 12, 2013

Introducing (a.k.a. Converting) My Child’s Friends to Veganism

Introducing (a.k.a. Converting) My Child’s Friends to Veganism
Phew! Being a vegan teacher has its challenges. If you read my other article, you’ve discovered that perhaps explaining veganism to students as an educator – as long as it is done respectfully – is typically acceptable. Following this enlightenment, I began to wonder how I’d handle situations with my daughter’s non-vegan friends who might
Honing in her skills in preparation for having future friends over for dinner!

Honing in her skills in preparation of having future friends over for dinner!

Phew! Being a vegan teacher has its challenges. If you read my other article, you’ve discovered that perhaps explaining veganism to students as an educator – as long as it is done respectfully – is typically acceptable.

Following this enlightenment, I began to wonder how I’d handle situations with my daughter’s non-vegan friends who might happen to stay for dinner. I assume the situations, which of course will occur, would be similar to those I’ve experienced in the classroom. For the sake of my (and your) entertainment, let’s just imagine…

Moving forward with my master plan to covertly infiltrate the minds of innocents and, unbeknownst to them, convert them to veganism, this will be my methodology:

1. Allow my daughter to get her way (again) and invite her friend to stay for dinner, which will be served late to ensure the child is quite ravenous.

2. Prepare the following dishes (I don’t care if they don’t seem to work well together. They’ve been my most popular and loved dishes by meat-eating friends and family!):

- My “mock” meat conversion meal of Quorn Mexican Quesadillas (Truly, Quorn Chik’n Tenders are my favorite and any recipe that utilizes them will probably work. I’ve never met a meat-eater who dislikes them!)

- Twice-baked Vegenaise/horseradish potatoes

3. “Inadvertently” stare at the guest, while exclaiming my love of the meal. I’ll have prepared the rest of the family to do the same in advance  (a little subception never hurts!).

4. Serve some sort of vegan dessert. What kid doesn’t love sweets?  Perhaps the little friend will be won over by some vegan ooey-gooey, chocolate fudge brownies or even some Tofutti Cuties!

5. Hide the bellyache I will no doubt be suffering from; this is NOT a well-rounded meal. As the carbohydrates coagulate in my stomach, I will smile and elbow my family to do the same. The child will be none the wiser. Don’t ask me how I’d handle it if the child’s stomach hurts, too. This is a dream, for meat’s - I mean Pete’s - sake!

6. Jump for joy when I receive a phone call from the little guy or gal’s mom, praising the meal and hospitality provided to her kid.

7. Invite the friend’s family over for dinner!

8. Repeat steps but serve different, delicious dishes to the unsuspecting victims!

All jokes aside, let’s clarify: those “tricked” into eating meatless dishes are not being preyed upon. Sometimes, it is necessary for meat-eating individuals to experience meals and make judgments based on the taste rather than the specific ingredients, or lack thereof. I compare this to getting to know people in general. It’s beneficial to understand them as individuals, as opposed to the titles that govern other aspects of their lives (i.e., religions, sexuality, etc.). This way, an immediate wall isn’t erected in defense when the term “vegan” is tossed around.

Of course, we can get into the nitty-gritty of things and bring up allergies of those I intend on converting. In my vegan world-domination plan, I will play it safe and make sure all aspects are thoroughly covered prior to serving vegan foods.

Luckily, my daughter is only nine-months-old and I don’t have to face this scenario, yet. But plans are in place, fellow vegans. Do me a favor – give this a shot with your child’s friends and let me know how it goes! Happy converting!


Source: feedproxy.google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment