Wednesday, April 24, 2013

There Must Be a Better Way: On Conventional Healthcare and the Vegan Patient

There Must Be a Better Way: On Conventional Healthcare and the Vegan Patient
Things I would rather do than attend my scheduled doctor’s appointment this morning: get audited by the IRS or watch paint dry for a few hours. To put it lightly, I am not a huge fan of visiting my doctor – not because she is unfriendly or incompetent, but because the whole process – so
Photo by StockImages/Freedigitalphotos.net

Photo by StockImages/Freedigitalphotos.net

Things I would rather do than attend my scheduled doctor’s appointment this morning: get audited by the IRS or watch paint dry for a few hours. To put it lightly, I am not a huge fan of visiting my doctor – not because she is unfriendly or incompetent, but because the whole process – so often being labeled as an insurance claim number, sitting in a cold room only to be prodded by cold instruments, and being forced to hear a sales pitch about the latest prescription drug (which was more than likely tested on animals and coated in gelatin, or, in other words, ground animal bones) that will supposedly help improve my life. Yes, though I know medical treatment is a necessary part of life, I’ve never loved the process, especially as a vegan who is skeptical of conventional healthcare practices. If only there was an alternative…

Oh, wait – there is. Naturopathic medicine, which focuses on holistic prevention and healing, often looks to conventional prescription medication as a last result to one’s bodily troubles. N.D.s often run smaller practices so they can consult for long periods of time with their patients – analyzing sleep patterns, external environments, and stress levels. As opposed to automatically buying in to the non-so-vegan-friendly world of prescription medication, N.D.s typically seek out natural, minimally toxic responses to bodily issues. In other words, as a vegan, you’re less likely to be presented with an array of pills and more likely to be talked to and treated as a human being with many factors contributing to your body’s functions. What’s more is that the typical N.D. is trained in everything an M.D. is (and more) – according to the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians, “A licensed naturopathic physician (ND) attends a four-year, graduate-level naturopathic medical school and is educated in all of the same basic sciences as an MD, but also studies holistic and nontoxic approaches to therapy with a strong emphasis on disease prevention and optimizing wellness. In addition to a standard medical curriculum, the naturopathic physician is required to complete four years of training in clinical nutrition, acupuncture, homeopathic medicine, botanical medicine, psychology, and counseling (to encourage people to make lifestyle changes in support of their personal health). A naturopathic physician takes rigorous professional board exams so that he or she may be licensed by a state or jurisdiction as a primary care general practice physician.”

According to the Association of Accredited Naturopathic Colleges, there are approximately 3500 practicing N.D.s in the United States Today – this presents many opportunities for a concerned vegan like myself to have a better healthcare experience. But, alas, I can’t see one of them – or not without paying for the visit myself, anyway.

While the healthcare insurance system already is problematic, my otherwise very extensive national insurance carrier simply doesn’t acknowledge a trip to the N.D. as anything more than an “alternative treatment,” one which I would be responsible for financially. N.D. work is called everything from “quack science” to flat-out “fake.” But, for a well-informed vegan skeptic like myself, this is no less than frustrating. Sure, there are probably less-than-credible alternative practices and practitioners out there, but I want to visit an N.D. for my health needs as I age. As a health-concerned person, my focus is on prevention — and an N.D. practice acknowledges this. Many N.D.s are vegans or vegetarians themselves – a worthy alternative to visiting a slew of seemingly unhealthy conventional doctors. Why would I take pills prescribed from someone I don’t align my values with? How can I turn a blind eye to the atrocities of prescription drug animal testing and know how many standard M.D.s prescribe drug after drug on a daily basis?

Healthcare is changing, I know, but, no matter what happens, I feel as though N.D.s should be covered under most insurance plans the same way M.D.s are – for vegans and health-conscious citizens such as myself, I can finally work with someone concerned about the holistic progression of my body, the way nature intended — no sales pitch included.


Source: feedproxy.google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment